Saturday, February 25, 2012

Quiz on some common verbs

Fill in all the gaps from the drop-down menu. Sometimes it's possible to use both "would" and "used to", but not always!  We will discuss the correct answers in class. 
   going      learning      meeting      use to      used to      watching      would   
picture of an e-learning classroome-learning classroomWhen I first went to Spain I couldn’t speak any Spanish. I  live in a town called Gijon and I remember  into shops and pointing at the things I wanted. It  be quite frustrating and I  never understand anything that anyone said to me. I remember the TV and thinking it was it all impossible.


As I didn’t  work in the afternoons I  go into a bar called Café Gijon and study Spanish there. I had my "Teach Yourself Spanish" book and I  read the El Pais newspaper and note some words which I  then ask Yolanda when she came in for a coffee. Yolanda was the secretary of the school where I worked and spoke really good English, so she  often explain some of them to me.


Speaking is the most important thing and I remember  a couple of friends of mine called Xuan and Floreal in a bar called café Dindurra. We  meet every Saturday lunch time and we  talk about films, music or football. I remember  a lot of Spanish in bars.


Now and then I  go with Xuan to see the local football club, Real Sporting de Gijon. The fans  roar every time they got near the goal. There  be a great atmosphere and the place  go crazy every time they scored. I learnt lots of interesting vocabulary there too.


However it wasn’t a holiday and, as I was working as a teacher, sometimes it  be difficult to make ends meet. Despite that, Gijon is a great place to live and in the spring and summer I remember  to the beach in the mornings and thinking that my friends in England couldn’t do that on a working day. Life was good and I was learning Spanish but being able to go to the beach was the icing on the cake.


1 comment: